A podcast I listen to, The Daily Beans, has talked recently about its listeners who are doing some good out in the world to balance all of the craziness, and every time they mention it, I think of you.
I think of you and all of the other Cannonballers and CBR supporters, because I’m thankful for each and every one of you: people like Lisa Bee, who donated a snazzy new design for CBR merch for bingo; people like Jen K, ElCicco and Ale, who donated books towards our lovely prize pack (see below); people like all of our wonderful volunteers; and really all of you reading this.
This year we’re asking folks to chip in for the entire month of November plus the three days in December that lead up to #GivingTuesday in honor of AlabamaPink. Thanksgiving is so late this year, so by the time we pass Black Friday and Cyber Monday, we’re already in DECEMBER!! How is that possible when every week feels like it’s five years long?
Our goal this year is to raise $2,000.00. These funds will go towards site improvements for CBR12, as well as our final, year-end donation to the American Cancer Society.
Cannonball Read (CBR) is an online, memorial book challenge to read and review 52 books in a year (or 26 or 13) with a mission to donate profits to the American Cancer Society. We’re essentially a virtual book club where participants read what they want and write what they want, all while shouting to the world, “F— Cancer!”
CBR honors Amanda “AlabamaPink” Amos, our fierce warrior queen who lost her battle with cancer in 2009. She was a true Pajiban (see Pajiba), filled with eloquence and sass. Cannonballers since that time have read over 20,000 books in her memory and have donated over $3,000 in her name.
As an incentive this year, all donors will be entered into a raffle! Every person who donates between November 1 and December 3 will get one entry into the prize raffle drawing. One lucky donor will win the amazing prize package shown below, valued at approximately $150.00. Prize winner will be announced after December 3, 2019. The prize package consists of:
- The Saffron Kitchen by Yasmin Crowther
- Midnight Sun by Jo Nesbo
- D-Day Girls: The Spies Who Armed the Resistance, Sabotaged the Nazis, and Helped Win World War II by Sarah Rose
- The Awkward Thoughts of W. Kamau Bell by W. Kamau Bell
- Oksana, Behave! by Maria Kuznetsova
- Wicked Saints by Emily A. Duncan
- Princeless Vol. 1: Short Stories Collection
- Gone for Soldiers: A Novel of the Mexican War by Jeff Shaara
- Five Tragic Hours: The Battle of Franklin by James Lee McDonough and Thomas L. Connelly
- A Terrible Glory: Custer and the Little Bighorn by James Donovan
- Battlefields and Blessings: Stories of Faith and Courage from The Civil War by Terry Tuley
- Modernist Cuisine at Home by Nathan Myhrvold and Maxime Bilet
- Don’t Let’s Go to the Dogs Tonight: An African Childhood by Alexandra Fuller
- Lady Killer by Jamie S. Rich, Joelle Jones, and Laura Allred
- Romeo And/Or Juliet: A Chooseable-Path Adventure by Ryan North
- In the Kingdom of Ice by Hampton Sides
- And more!
At the end of our fundraising., On December 4 we will draw one name randomly out of everyone who donated during the previous 33 days. The winner will have their choice of any or all books from the above. As always, if you have any questions, please drop me a line.